If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else’s wrongdoing, it’s smart to retain the services of a local personal injury attorney. Even if your injuries seem relatively minor at first, swift action can preserve your legal rights should your condition worsen. An experienced local lawyer can help you explore all avenues for a rightful, maximum recovery.
At Rue & Ziffra, our Florida personal injury attorneys have served clients throughout the state for more than 40 years. Our aggressive advocacy has secured millions of dollars for clients just like you in settlements and trial verdicts. We’re eager to apply our skills and local knowledge to your case.
Whether you’re a Florida resident or a visitor here on vacation or business, call us anytime, 24/7 to schedule your free consultation.
Benefits of Using a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
Certain state and federal laws apply to broad regions of the United States, but states and municipalities have their own unique legal codes and judicial customs. Local personal injury lawyers are generally focused on the laws and legal conventions of their own area and know how to successfully navigate the system.
Some specific benefits a local attorney can offer in your personal injury case include:
- Specific knowledge of local and state laws
- Familiarity with local courts and court procedures
- Familiarity with local police, judges, and other attorneys
- Access to local expert witnesses and other sources of evidence
- Convenient office locations for less travel and easier communication
- Familiarity with local roads and other accident-prone areas
- Understanding of local costs for things like medical treatments or auto repairs
- Recommendations for other nearby services
I’m From Another State. Should I Hire a Lawyer Here or from Home?
Generally speaking, there are two main factors to consider before you decide on a local lawyer. The first is jurisdiction. Jurisdiction is a legal term describing the authority of a particular entity or area to make lawful judgments and decisions. This brings us to the second factor, bar certification. When a lawyer passes a bar exam in a particular jurisdiction, they receive certification to practice law in that area of jurisdiction.
To represent you, a lawyer usually must have been admitted to the bar in the state where you plan to take legal action, which will typically be the state in which your injury occurred. However, there are certain exceptions. Many states have a “pro hac vice,” or “for this occasion only,” process that grants out-of-state attorneys admission to practice for a single case. Each state is different, and some may require attorneys to partner with an in-state lawyer during representation.
Some states also recognize a process for out-of-state admission called “reciprocity.” Reciprocity policies mean that even if a lawyer has not passed the bar exam in a certain jurisdiction, their admission in another state may be recognized as equivalent and valid to practice law locally.
If you were injured in Florida, it is typically much easier – and potentially much more beneficial – to work with a Florida attorney, even if you are from another state. An attorney from your home state may be able to handle your case in Florida, but they will have to jump through many hoops, and they will almost certainly be less familiar with the laws and procedures in Florida, even if they do get clearance to handle your case here.
The bottom line is, hiring a local lawyer for your out-of-state case is an option in many situations, and you should never settle for less than the exceptional representation you deserve, no matter your jurisdiction. An experienced personal injury attorney well-versed in local laws can make all the difference in the success of your case, so trust your instinct and look for lawyers with excellent client reviews and a history of successful case results.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Most people know that lawyers can help their clients file lawsuits and seek compensation, but what are the specific benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer? Attorneys who focus on personal injury offer their services to people who have suffered physical or psychological injury through the negligent or reckless acts of someone else.
Personal injury lawyers often handle cases involving things like car accidents, medical malpractice, unsafe products or premises, workplace injuries, and slip and fall accidents. These attorneys help their clients by:
- Helping clients understand when they have a valid claim
- Providing accurate valuations of a claim’s worth
- Explaining the legal process and available options
- Handling the stress and difficulty of legal filings and paperwork
- Communicating with third parties on behalf of clients
- Identifying and gathering compelling supporting evidence
- Consulting with expert witnesses like accident reconstruction specialists
- Negotiating aggressively for a full and fair settlement
- Taking cases to trial when settlement negotiations fail
- Arguing for favorable outcomes on behalf of clients in court
- Speeding up the settlement or trial verdict process
Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
No specific guidelines can tell you for certain whether you need a personal injury lawyer for your case. However, if any of the following apply to your situation, there’s a good chance you will benefit from the services of a qualified attorney:
- You or someone you love sustained serious or fatal injuries
- Your injuries were caused by a neglectful or reckless individual or entity
- You are seeking an insurance settlement for your damages
- You need to communicate with an insurance provider or liable party
- Your insurance claim has been denied
- You receive an unreasonably low settlement offer
- You experience insurance company claim or payment delays
- You are fighting with an insurance company that refuses to negotiate
- You are considering legal action for your damages
- You have any questions at all concerning personal injury law
- You would like a free consultation to discuss the validity of your case
Contact Our Florida Personal Injury Lawyers
There are plenty of confusing and complicated elements to consider in your injury claim, but it’s easy and free to consult with a local personal injury attorney. Waiting too long to take action or hire a lawyer can damage your case, but an initial case review provides information and options that can only help. To learn more about the next steps you should take in your case, call the dedicated Florida personal injury lawyers of Rue & Ziffra or contact us online today.